Helpful Hints for Storage
1) Plan your storage space. Place those items that you may need to access often in the front. Allow for walkways.
2) Make up an inventory of your stored items and keep it in a safe place at home or in a safe deposit box.
3) Place your storage items on boards or on pallets to guard against dampness. Never place cardboard boxes directly on cement floor. ANY concrete floor may become cold, damp or have moisture.
4) CAUTION: Do not store anything combustible (i.e. paint thinner, gasoline, solvents, paint, etc.)
5) Use uniform size boxes for easy stacking.
6) Make sure items being stored are dry prior to storing to prevent any items from mold or mildew.
7) Stack lighter boxes on top of heavier boxes.
8) Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper and packed in sturdy boxes. Stack them on top.
9) Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard, marked “FRAGILE” and stacked on end.
10)Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for pictures, nick-knacks, china silverware, small items, etc. Wrap them in tablecloths, towels or blankets to prevent breakage.
11) Larger appliances make excellent “packing cases” for blankets, towels, tablecloths and clothes.
12) Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside one another.
13) Tables having removable legs should be “broken down” to save space.
14) Sofas and love seats can be store on end to save floor space. Always place a protective cover under the item on the concrete.
15) Cover stuffed furniture with moving blankets.
16) If you stand a mattress on their side, “prop” them up so they stand straight. They may tend to bend out of shape and become lumpy.
17) Rent the smallest amount of space you need and pack the space full.
18) Prepare your space by placing a protective cover on the floor under your goods.
19) Do not place heavy or sharp objects on top of upholstered furniture.
20) Use a cylinder lock on your door. Cheap locks rust and do not provide good security.
21) If storing a washing machine, dishwasher or garden hose, please remove all water before storing. Water could leak on floor causing damage to items in your unit or cause damage to neighboring units.
22) If storing Refrigerator or Freezer, thaw/drain before storing. Water could leak on floor causing damage to items in your unit or cause damage to neighboring units.
23) In the winter time, make sure before closing door on unit that threshold of unit is shoveled and clear, doing this will insure that the door will close, seal and latch properly.
5040 Rosada Street, Petoskey Michigan 49770
Copyright © 2022 Conway Storage - All Rights Reserved.